Mid-ship Through Hull

  • November 26, 2012 5:10 AM
    Message # 1145981
    Deleted user
    There's a through hull about mid-ship on the starboard side.  Can't locate the sea-cock inside... any ideas?

    Pic Here...

    Last modified: November 26, 2012 5:11 AM | Deleted user
  • November 26, 2012 6:00 AM
    Reply # 1146002 on 1145981
    Deleted user
    Wow, David!  That's a tough one.  Looks ike it should be pretty readily apparent under the middle floorboard though you might need a mirror and flashlight to see it tucked up under the settee.  Nothing like that on my W28 (hull #20).  Are all the "standard" underwater thru-hulls accounted for?
    Head discharge (stbd)
    Head intake (stbd)
    Head drain (stbd)
    Engine cooling (stbd)
    Galley sink drain (port)
    Galley salt water supply (port)


  • November 26, 2012 7:57 AM
    Reply # 1146085 on 1145981


    On my W32 thats the cooling water for the diesel and its located in the bilge beneath the stairs. Hope that helps.


  • November 26, 2012 11:37 AM
    Reply # 1146268 on 1145981
    Deleted user

    On our W32 that is where our speed log paddle wheel is located.


  • November 26, 2012 12:31 PM
    Reply # 1146300 on 1145981
    Deleted user
    All through hulls are accounted for inside except this one.  Nothing under the settee...

    I'm going to double check but I seem to remember THREADS in this through hull fitting..maybe there was some device, (speed log paddle, etc.).

    Thanks for your help folks...

  • November 26, 2012 1:58 PM
    Reply # 1146356 on 1145981

    After looking at the picture, the fitting looks like a garboard drain fitting.  However, I am not sure why such a fitting would be so far up on the hull.  If the threaded hole is smaller than 1.5 inches, then I would doubt the paddle wheel theory.  Does it thread from the inside or the outside?

    Surveyors here in N.E. often recomend the installation of garboard drain plugs in order to drain water out of the bilge when the boat is haul for winter storage.  These drains are installed just above the bottom of the bilge or lowest point of the bilge.

    This fitting looks too high for that, although I am not familiar with the W32.  If a garboard drain was fitted, I would think it to be lower and more aft that what that it is.

  • November 26, 2012 2:09 PM
    Reply # 1146367 on 1145981
    Deleted user
    Picture Here

    It is smaller than 1.5" and it does NOT have a sea-cock.  I took a 5 ft fiberglass rod and ran it into the boat and I could move it forward/aft under the water tank.  Angled it aft and was able to find the rod in the bilge under the ladder landing.  Looks like you're right Douglas.  Now to find the plug!  

    My boat is a W28 and I guess since it was a one time in Boston, someone did exactly that, a garboard drain.

    Thanks for your help.  I love this site!

  • November 26, 2012 2:09 PM
    Reply # 1146368 on 1145981

    I'm with Tate on the plug type.  It appears to me that it would be just above the mid-ship ballast.  Look next to your water tanks (I'm not totally familiar with W28's) and under the floor boards.  It might be tucked in there a ways.


  • November 27, 2012 9:53 AM
    Reply # 1147028 on 1145981

    David, you can usually find either the plug or the plug and fitting at a marine supply outlet that carries bronze fittings.  Additionally, you can measure the opening and get a bronze cap fitting that should screw into the hull fitting.

    My WS42 is in Marion, MA, and has a garboard drain with the plug out.  Thankfully, I found the plug sitting on a hand rail in the galley.  However, I am going to rebed the garboard drain fitting and plug prior to going back into the water.


  • November 27, 2012 10:04 AM
    Reply # 1147033 on 1145981
    Deleted user
    Thanks Doug & Tyler,

    I'm rummaging through a number of boxes that contain a wide variety of "Extra" parts.  If I can't find it, I'll measure and check the web.  I appreciate you input and advice.