Top-down Furler Attachment?

  • August 07, 2023 6:35 AM
    Message # 13237457

    I am wondering if anyone has a top-down furler mounted on their W32 and how they like it. 

    I bought a used 2oz Dacron Genoa/Drifter and have been experimenting with ways to fly it from the bowsprit.  I set the sail so the luff is free-flying and it moves the boat well in light winds.  The sail is approx 500sq/ft and I would love an easy way to get it up-down

    If there are no furling systems out there how does everyone fly their free flying sails?

  • August 08, 2023 9:32 AM
    Reply # 13238176 on 13237457

    Top - down furler is actually a thing , I never heard it called that . Here is a pretty good article .

    To answer your question , on how we fly ours . Nothing special , just set it up and hoist it . We have a W28 so it is not as big . Back in the day before we had roller furling for the Yankee , I could use the one hank at the head . Now that we have RF , I can't use the hank and I get some chafe . Enough that it is starting to go through the leather .

    I think I need one of those top-down furlers , they look pretty nice . Thanks for the tip .

    Mark .

    Last modified: August 08, 2023 9:41 AM | Anonymous member