Hard Dodger

  • June 30, 2016 7:39 AM
    Message # 4109059
    Deleted user

    The hard dodger for Rhapsody is installed and 95% complete. The last 5% seems to take longer than the first 95% of any project. Can somebody come up with a name for this phenomenon? 

     Anyway, there is TMI on this project for the the forum. Here's the link.

    https://w32rhapsody.wordpress.com

    Werner

    Last modified: June 30, 2016 7:42 AM | Deleted user
  • June 30, 2016 6:44 PM
    Reply # 4109919 on 4109059
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Thanks Werner -- for the post -- I'll copy the link etc to the FAQ area also. 

    There is a name for the 5% issue -- burnout is the one that comes to mind!! 

    That was a lot of work... 

    Jay 



    Last modified: June 30, 2016 6:48 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)
  • April 25, 2017 11:09 PM
    Reply # 4779858 on 4109059

    So I am tackling the hard dodger too, I'd like some feedback from the members as to the idea.

    Admittedly, I'll be going ahead regardless of the feedback as the panels are already purchased.

    Check out this video of what I have in mind:


    https://youtu.be/zcDNKATYanc


    Last modified: June 14, 2017 6:38 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)
  • May 03, 2017 8:35 AM
    Reply # 4812363 on 4109059
    Last modified: June 14, 2017 6:39 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)
  • June 12, 2017 3:27 PM
    Reply # 4897442 on 4109059

    I made a hard dodger I can stand on and I weight 288lb.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu5bLrEPEug 



    Last modified: June 14, 2017 6:42 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)
  • July 13, 2017 5:06 AM
    Reply # 4974366 on 4779858
    Stephen Wylie wrote:

    So I am tackling the hard dodger too, I'd like some feedback from the members as to the idea.

    Admittedly, I'll be going ahead regardless of the feedback as the panels are already purchased.

    Check out this video of what I have in mind:


    https://youtu.be/zcDNKATYanc



    I've always wanted to replace my Sunbrella dodger with a hard dodger. The biggest challenge (aside from construction) is a design that compliments the lines of a Westsail. Over the years that I've 'researched' hard dodgers one design element caught and held my attention; incorporating gutters on the sides as a raincatcher. If/when I ever make the leap to a hard dodger it will definitely include gutters.
  • July 22, 2017 4:08 AM
    Reply # 4989474 on 4109059
    Deleted user

    Stephen: I think you nailed it! Looks great!

  • July 22, 2017 9:22 AM
    Reply # 4989769 on 4109059

    Thanks Michael,

    The design has undergone some changes, as these things tend to do. The frame is now all 316 tubing with cast 316 fittings (tees, 90's and end-caps, mostly) as opposed to welds, but they will be tacked in place with a TIG welder when I'm sure of how it will sit.

    To get the arches I had the tubing bumped, although they should have rolled it to get a consistent arc. I had to take them back to get it tweaked - it needs to be bang on to get the panels attached in a straight line.

    Using tubing and fittings was way cheaper than having the whole frame welded by a shop (about 1/5 of the highest quote).

    The water-catching perimeter is on the back-burner for now - the design leaves room for it. All of the electronics below decks is installed, the frame is almost ready. By the end of the week (fingers crossed, because I want to make it to the PNW rondie) it should be installed.

    Last modified: July 22, 2017 9:28 AM | Anonymous member
  • August 25, 2017 11:25 AM
    Reply # 5048159 on 4109059

    well dodger is installed, and I for the most part I am happy with the end result.

    The outermost corners of the panels can catch lines, so I am going to tie a simple line across that gap (1") where the lines can fall between handrail and corner.

    The forward end can also catch things, like sails or lines. To fix that I'll tie a small line from the bottom of each corner/stanchion base up to the corner of the handrail. A simple fix.

    The panels work great, I've been running my fridge solely off the batteries since I hooked them up.

    I had some issues with running the cables, and ended up not liking what I did (ran 5 RV sockets through deck and combined panels below deck. I should've gotten a waterproof box and combined them above deck so I only had two wires, albeit heavier gauge, going through the deck).

    Another thing I would change is how the feet are. They should have been kept separate so that they could be mounted and caulked before the frame was mounted. I did it so the whole thing is one piece. Although the frame is all 316 tube and cst fittings, I had a friend tack them together with a TIG welder so there is no wiggle.

    The frame is very sturdy, is an excellent handhold, and with the elastomeric caulking down the seams between the panels, it is waterproof (from above). I haven't tackled wind/rain barricades for the perimeter yet.

    Last modified: August 25, 2017 11:32 AM | Anonymous member
  • August 25, 2017 3:25 PM
    Reply # 5048782 on 4109059
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Very Nice --

    Jay

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software